Adventures in Life

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Marathon done. Check!

The weather - gorgeous! Thanks for praying!
The run - HARD!
The Finish - exhilirating! I was doing well and sprinted to the finish because a fellow Indiana person came up behind me.
The time - 6:00 hours
The victory party - starts now! I'll write more later!!!


I'm back from the party and here's the more...
The sun was out when we woke up (of course, it's ALASKA!) and it stayed out most of the time. There were times it was overcast, but it was just perfect! I now have a really good runners tan.
The "Tank trail" (called such because it's on army land and tanks run on it) was HARD! They smoothed out the first part of the trail for us - apparently it was pretty bad. But, after the first couple miles on it, it turned to gravel /rocky road with some good divets in it. Definitely hard on the feet/ankles/knees!
After the tank trail we were on hiking type trails. They warned us about the mosquitos out here and they weren't kidding! I stopped at one point to fix something on my shoe and it took me twice as long to fix it because I swatted or killed at least 10 of those critters. And, they are not little either! Their bodies are probably an inch long!
We were glad to exit the trails and start the downhill slope - about mile 17. We walked a little and the ran when we knew our photo was about to be taken. (NOTE: I tried intentionally to keep that pinky of mine in for that picture. Hopefully it doesn't look like I'm ready for a tea party again.) :)
As we entered the college campus, some students made THE BEST aid station. It had gatorade, Oreos, pretzels, foods of all sorts, including POPSICLES!!!!! At mile 19 that felt like the best thing since sliced bread.
Not long after that, I lost my running partner...she pulled her IT band and I had to stay in a running form in order to keep going. At that point it was harder to walk than run. So, I chugged along...21...22...23...24...seeing those mile signs grow was encouraging. I kept waiting for this steep hill they told us about...mile 25... and then the hill.
It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Especially, when someone said there was a little downhill as we headed toward the high school. Winding into the high school, I was very excited...Oh! I almost forgot....one of my favorite songs these days is "Love Has Come" by Matt Maher. Pre-race and for most of the race, I could only remember the last verse, the chorus and the bridge; and I sang that many times as I was running. Somewhere around mile 21 or 22, I remembered a second verse! I was soooo excited! I had new words to sing!...
Ok, back to reaching the school...now the song changed to "Sing Praises" by Third Day. If YOU had just run 26 miles and could feel the prayers of people you know praying for your safety and the weather, you'd be singing praises too! So, I dug deep and increased speed a little and started towards the finish line. Suddenly, I hear a friendly "Hey! " from behind me. It was a fellow Hoosier and she just passed me. I was not about to let her beat me to the finish line! I shouted a you-can't-do-that "Hey!" back at her, dug even deeper inside and began a sprint to the finish. Each step my legs were yelling at me. I caught up to her and it was a "photo" finish to see who won. :)
Actually, we are all winners of this race. Of 1200 Team In Training participants in this race from all over North America, we raised 2.4 million dollars!!!! Thanks to many of you for being part of this team!

If you've read this far, thank you for your interest! When I get pictures, I'll attempt to post a couple on this blog.

oh and yes, I do have an event picked for next year. No, it's not a marathon. stayed tuned for more details!

2 Comments:

  • Congratulations! It never amazes me at how many miles you can run and still keep upbeat. I can't wait to see you next week. Hope you get some good rest!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:34 AM  

  • Way to go, Julie! It has meant so much to read of your pre-race and now THE ACTUAL EVENT! YOU DID IT!!! We really never doubted - you are definitely one of God's marathon-ers in more ways than one! We miss you - :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home