Adventures in Life

Monday, July 02, 2007

An Eye Opening Fundraiser.

Last Saturday some of the Chicago triathlon TNT members did a fundraiser outside of a Sam's Club in town. It was a very eye opening experience for me. I must confess I've often been one who intentionally avoids eye contact with those asking exiting customers to support their cause. After this experience I think my actions will change. I was also amazed at many people's comments.

One lady was ready to donate before she exited the store. As tears began to well in her eyes, she said, "I've had too many friends die from Leukemia. Find a cure, please."

One man stopped to talk with us for a few moments. His daughter was diagnosed with a blood cancer when she was 18 months old. Her tenacity to get through treatments and transplants brought her to remission and she has been there since for the past 11 years! This father proudly told us his hero is no famous person, but his 15 year old daughter.

Others shared about family members who were battling leukemia or lymphoma. And one more story that sticks out in my head is the man who walked up to me and shared he was battling with both prostate cancer and leukemia. Looking at him, you would have never guessed.

This goes to show, everybody is somebody. And, everyone has a story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home