Adventures in Life

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Determination vs Stubborn

Meriam-Webster Online defines each as the following:

Determination: the act of deciding definitely and firmly.
Stubborn: performed or carried on in an unyielding, obstinate, or persistent manner.

After a decision I made in group training this morning I realized I have the will power and determination to finish any task I desire. I want to complete the triathlon in August, and unless I'm tied down in a hospital bed, I plan on crossing the finish line.

Then there's the negative determination - a.k.a. being stubborn. In training this morning we did hill repeats when we biked and when we ran. (A hill repeat is just what it says, when you reach the top of the hill you turn around, go down the hill and head right back up it.) Well, due to the training I did the day before, hills were a quite difficult this morning. I did one repeat and when I came around to do the second, I decided in order to have strength for six miles of running, I was going to ignore the repeat request. I finished the ride and the six miles of running. In hindsite, I realized I really could have done the small hill repeat.

Then came the question from my coach, "Could you truly not go any further or did you not want to go any further?" When training one can often reach points where they don't want to go any further, but they really could go much further. It's the mind game. (fun. fun)

So, today, I received great grace and once again a lesson has been learned. Next time I reach the point of wanting to be stubborn and do it my way, I hope I have enough determination and will power to overcome it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home