Adventures in Life

Monday, July 09, 2007

Overcoming Obstacles

On Saturday, 7/7, I took part in a local sprint triathlon. It was fun to have most of the TNT members who were in town to be part of it together. It helped build some team comaraderie. I was excited about the tri all week. Thoughts of the swim caused a little hesitation on my part, but I was able to overcome the anxious thoughts and stay excited and calm about the day. We lined up for the swim and I was ready. I began the swim and did a few good, calm strokes before I started running into people and little waves seemed to be all around. Suddenly, I had all this energy and I really wanted to swim this whole course but anytime I put my head in the water I lost focus and began to choke on the water. So, side kicking and breast stroke and freestyle with my head out of the water is what I did for about 300 yards. This was an obstacle I was hoping wouldn't present itself, but it did. I "yelled" at myself to start focusing and figure out a different strategy because what I was trying to do wasn't working, and I wasn't going to be the last pink cap out of the water.

The great news...I did it! I changed my breathing pattern and finished the final 300 yards a lot better than I started. The bike and run portions both went MUCH better than expected. And, I set a goal to finish the race under 2 hours and I did it in 1:53!

When you put your mind to it, you can overcome obstacles.

Our TNT Honored Hero has recently faced his own unexpected obstacles. On his birthday he began a new form of chemo treatment in hopes that after 10 days of the treatment he would be cancer free. Ten days passed and the blood work still showed some cancer. So, he will be undergoing another batch of treatment soon. The good news...they have a good transplant match for him! Also, he found out last week his tumor is shrinking, so the drugs are working. The hopes are one more batch of chemo and then a transplant in August.

He's faced an unwanted obstacle of the return of cancer, but he's putting his mind to it and is determined to beat it again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home